Ryobi 1+ 18v drill, speed selector frozen

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased this drill last Fall as part of a 3 tool promotion at Home Depot. I needed the saw and multi-tool, and never used the drill until a recent project where I needed one drill and one driver. My go-to drill is a Dewalt. Anyways, the Ryobi worked fine for about 2 hours, then the speed switch froze. Would not shift from 2 to 1. No reason I could see, and of course, past warranty due to time past purchase (yes, I inquired). I dismantled to inspect, and after several experiments discovered the spring clip embedded under the selector switch was preventing the switch from moving in its' track. The spring has "bumps" that lock it into position 1 or 2 in the track. Bottom line: Misalignment of cheap plastic parts...

I removed and slightly de-sprung the spring, and re-installed. The pic shows the underside of the selector with clip removed. Works now, although not quite as crisp a speed selector as new. If it fails again, I will leave it as a drill only (on 2), and remind myself to not buy overly cheap...

The only gotcha in checking the internals on this drill was 1 of the 10 body screws is inset deep enough to require an extended driver or dedicated screwdriver (torx sz 10). A new tool is generally a good thing...

Attachments

Ask a Question