Rust proofing Skoda Yeti.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

At last a dry warm day which has been rare recently after days of heavy rain and wind.

1691593507449.png

1691593605578.png

I bought 5L of each rather than skimping then I have plenty.

I've just knocked off having started early this morning and have only completed rustproofing the nearside front wing area. What a dirty job; dropping the wing liner was fun it secured with nineteen T25 Torx screws even more fun trying to put the liner back. I used wire brushes; scrapers and coarse abrasive paper to remove rust but I was pleasantly surprised by how good our Yeti is and it's seven years old.

Rust proofing_0003.JPG

Liner removed and much better than expected.

Rust proofing_0008.JPG

Exposed suspension with rust so caught it in time before it gets worse.

Rust proofing_0010.JPG

Usual problem area bottom of wing. but still good.

Rust proofing_0011.JPG

Wing liner which gave me so much fun.

Rust proofing_0013.JPG

Brake covered with white plastic bag. Heavy coating of rust proofing applyd using compressor with spray gun then going round with brush to catch the parts the gun couldn't reach.

Rust proofing_0014.JPG

Problem area now given lots of extra rustproofing.

Rust proofing_0015.JPG

This should last for many years it being further protected by the wing liner.

Rust proofing_0017.JPG

I'm well pleased by today's work; I want to do the best job I possibly can; no electric car for us even if electric cars were given away; too dangerous to ride in as a passenger or driver and too dangerous to have on our property as they are prone to self combust.

Our diesel 2.0L Skoda Yeti 2016 SE L is a keeper and holding it's value very well indeed.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Rustproofing completed for this year; today I injected the cills with an aerosol can of Bilt Hamber S50 having drilled holes in the cill top; this Bilt Hamber sure searches; as it came out of the cill drain holes I'd placed an old very heavy lined curtain on the driveway directly under the cill and this Bilt Hamber went straight through so now I've got dirty patches to clean on the driveway; it's worth it though to have the car finally rustproofed.

The original Torx T25 flanged screws were starting to rust so these are now replaced by Pozi #2 4.8mm self tapping stainless screws with stainless penny washers and new zinc plated U nuts; the U nuts were virtually impossible to install as supplied they being a great deal stronger than the originals so I opened them up enough to allow them to be firmly pushed home; a number of screws went into plastic inserts so these too were replaced.

Rust proofing_0011.JPG

Wing liner removed. Seen nearby is the vintage Howard Bulldog petrol rotavator I'm restoring.

Wing liners_0001.JPG

New stainless screws & washers used these don't need rustproofing.

Yeti U nuts_0003.JPG

These new heavy duty U nuts (4,8mm) are incredibly strong.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi,

At last a dry warm day which has been rare recently after days of heavy rain and wind.

View attachment 5991

View attachment 5992

I bought 5L of each rather than skimping then I have plenty.

I've just knocked off having started early this morning and have only completed rustproofing the nearside front wing area. What a dirty job; dropping the wing liner was fun it secured with nineteen T25 Torx screws even more fun trying to put the liner back. I used wire brushes; scrapers and coarse abrasive paper to remove rust but I was pleasantly surprised by how good our Yeti is and it's seven years old.

View attachment 5993
Liner removed and much better than expected.

View attachment 5994
Exposed suspension with rust so caught it in time before it gets worse.

View attachment 5995
Usual problem area bottom of wing. but still good.

View attachment 5996
Wing liner which gave me so much fun.

View attachment 5997
Brake covered with white plastic bag. Heavy coating of rust proofing applyd using compressor with spray gun then going round with brush to catch the parts the gun couldn't reach.

View attachment 5998
Problem area now given lots of extra rustproofing.

View attachment 5999
This should last for many years it being further protected by the wing liner.

View attachment 6000
I'm well pleased by today's work; I want to do the best job I possibly can; no electric car for us even if electric cars were given away; too dangerous to ride in as a passenger or driver and too dangerous to have on our property as they are prone to self combust.

Our diesel 2.0L Skoda Yeti 2016 SE L is a keeper and holding it's value very well indeed.

Kind regards, Colin.
Tidy looking assembly. no brake dust?

Ask a Question