Lutron Fan Timer Switch Help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi folks,

Working on installing a Lutron MA-T51MNH-WH timer switch for a bathroom fan. Physical install seemed to go fine, and I'm getting power to the timer (the LED lights on the timer are lit). But it's not working as expected. Basically, before I even turned it on, it was kind of cycling on and off at a very low level (i.e. it doesn't come close to spinning the fan up all the way). Even if I turn the timer on, it doesn't do much more than that.

The fan is 0.18 A and 8 watts.

In the instructions, I saw this tidbit:

If the minimum load requirement of the switch is not met it could cause the fan to cycle on/off constantly. When the timer switch turns on it starts the fan at its highest speed which generates enough load to be above the timer's minimum requirement. It then slows down the fan which can cause it to dip below the minimum load rating.

This behavior may occur when using the MA-T51 Maestro timer switch as this unit does not have a neutral connection and has a minimum load rating of 40 watts or 0.3 amps. In this application we suggest using the MA-T51MN neutral-based countdown timer switch. If your wallbox does not have a neutral connection, but does have a true-earth ground, a Maestro sensor switch could be used instead.

That description sounds very much like what I'm experiencing. However, they suggest using the MA-T51MN switch, and that's already what I'm using.

I took the timer out and I've attached a photo of the wires. I basically attached the neutral to the green on the timer, the black wire coming from the light switch to the black screw on the timer, and the remaining wire to the silver screw on the timer.

Thoughts?

Attachments

Last edited:

Ask a Question