What plywood should I use for Kitchen cabinet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Exterior grade plywood. Make sure it's fully sealed especially all edges with paint or varnish. What finish do you intend to use?

Benjamin Moore_004.JPG

Here in Yorkshire (UK) we suffer lots of heavy rain then rare blistering sun; plywood should not be used for external cladding? Here are three lower plywood panels routed to resemble cladding; these panels are fully sealed back; front and especially all edges with Benjamin Moore Exterior Aura paint; they still look perfect even after 8 years. I used plywood for our kitchen cabinets but will try to find pictures.

Good luck.

Kind regards, Col.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Instead of trying to explain it all, click HERE to find information that should answer all your questions.

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
It's never a good idea to use glued plywood inside the home.

Glued plywood panels can release various harmful gases, depending on the type of adhesive used. The most common harmful gases include:

1. **Formaldehyde**: This is perhaps the most well-known and widespread gas released from plywood panels. Formaldehyde is often used in urea-formaldehyde resin, phenol-formaldehyde resin, and melamine-formaldehyde resin, which are frequently used to manufacture plywood. Formaldehyde is a known carcinogen and can cause irritation to the eyes, nose, throat, and lungs upon exposure.

2. **Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)**: In addition to formaldehyde, plywood can also emit other VOCs depending on the adhesive used. VOCs include a wide range of chemicals that can be harmful to health, such as benzene, toluene, and xylenes. These can cause headaches, dizziness, and respiratory irritation.

3. **Isocyanates**: If polyurethane adhesives are used, isocyanates may be released. Isocyanates can cause irritation to the eyes, nose, throat, and skin, and prolonged exposure can lead to asthma and other respiratory issues.

The level of gas emissions from plywood panels depends on various factors, such as the age of the panel, room ventilation, and the use of finishing materials like varnishes or paints. Therefore, it is important to choose plywood panels that meet strict emission standards, such as E1 or CARB certification, to minimize exposure to these harmful gases.

Reaction score
We had a new fitted kitchen, nearly twenty years ago.
Last year, my wife wanted an extra cupboard. To go next to this one, as neither of us used this min-breakfast bar.

P1050569.JPG

The carcass was a doddle, I just got a wood yard to cut the laminated chipboard components to the measurements I gave them. They were easy to assemble.

P1050595.JPG

The biggest problem was finding a kitchen cabinet making company, to make the door and drawer fronts, with the right profile and colour, from laminated mdf. Same problem with the pelmet.

Neither set are actually drawers, There is a unit on the other side of the kitchen that has them. But as these units are only half-depth, the drawer fronts became single cupboard doors. I had some spare handles left me by the kitchen fitters when the units were originally installed.
Job done!

P1050611.JPG

I did something similar a few years before, when we had to have this combi boiler replaced.

P1000078.JPG

We were left with this when the new boiler was fitted.

P1000773.JPG

My wife thought she was going to get a new kitchen, but I know I could sort it.

P1050633.JPG

All this was achieved using just basic hand tools. I would never contemplate using plywood. I'd never have been able to achieve a professional finish.

Both these projects were quite straightforward.

Ask a Question