Two wall switches for Ceiling Fan and light.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with light model AC-527. It is operated by a remote control(?) There are two switches on teh wall and 4 wires ( Black, Green, White and Blue ) in the ceiling. Most of the fans I can see these days either come with pull chains or remote controls. The remote can work light and fan including brightness and speed. The ones with the pull down chains seem to be old fashioned and perhaps hazardous.
What sort of a fan would one install. Ones with separate pull chains for fan and light might be good for the two switches, or perhaps ones with remote control and only one switch, with second switch becoming spare. How would the wires from the ceiling be connected for fans with remote control since those only need three wires -- Black, White and Green. Would the blue and black be connected together ?

Reaction score
Need some help please.

1) Are you saying that there is a fixture already in place in the ceiling like a light or ceiling fan?
2) These two wall switches, are they side by side or across the room from each other?
3) Are there three wires on each switch or two wires?
4) Are these wires at the switches or in the ceiling?

If the switches are across the room from each other, I think you are describing a "three" way switch setup meaning you can turn the fixture on from either side of the room
If they are side by side, then I suspect that one switch is for the fan (Black wire) the other is for the light (Blue wire). The white wire is being used to supply power to the switches. The white wire should have a black marking on it to show that it is being used as an ungrounded conductor.

Can you please supply a picture of the switched and s picture of the ceiling connections?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just Got your response today -- not sure why it was delayed so much.
I have two siwtches next to each other, so I ma pretty sure one controls the fan and the other the light.
I ended up buying a remote controlled fan and light. My tenants keep losing the remote control, so this was not my first choice.
The previous fixture was already on the ceiling and I think only two wires from each switch.
Anyway, I will not worry about this until the next time the remote control is lost.

Reaction score
Chuckle!!

In a former configuration, you would need both switches. However, I just bet all you need to do is drop power to the fan. The remote controls the fan and light and the switches are no longer needed, unless the instructions for the fan require them.

Ask a Question