Replacing Downlights

Reaction score
We have completely gutted our ensuite, At the moment there are 4 mr16 12v 50w downlights dangling down. These need replacing as, at some point whilst removing ceiling for renovations, some of the lighting fixtures were taken off and have been lost in the rubble.

I would like to replace these lights with 4 mains 240v downlights as I believe there are more LED variety with mains GU10 lights as opposed to low voltage mr16.

My question is would is be a simply swap. i.e taking lighting fixture and transformer off and replace with mains voltage lighting fixture or do I need to replace the existing wiring as well? I ask this as the existing wiring consists of thin white wires and I thought it would have been the standard grey thicker lighting wire.

Reaction score
Hi
Firstly, buy fittings designed for bathroom use, not just for electrical safety, but to prevent steam from getting past the fittings, and causing problems above.
Yes, they will have to be rewired in the correct cable. As this is a bathroom, I suggest you get an electrician to carry out this work to ensure that the installation complies with the regulations.

Reaction score
Just noticed if I pull a bit more than I find the usual grey wires.

I will therefore get the mains voltage fixings that are suitable for bathrooms i.e. IP65/66.

One more question...do I need the fire rated ones or does that not matter since I am buying ones suitable for bathrooms?

Reaction score
Up to you, fire rated is to stop the spread of fire to upper floors, I tend to use then when possible, especially in a kitchen for obvious reasons.
It's not usual for a fire to start in a bathroom, and at that IP rating, they're pretty much sealed anyway.

Ask a Question