porter cable battery question

Reaction score
Country
United States
where can i get good porter cable 18 volt nicd battery packs i see ebay ahs them but the few i got from ebay did not seem to hold up better that the old packs that came with the tools i got from ebay. also can anyone tell me if is just ok to leave the batterys on the chargers until i need them? some youtubers say yes and some say no. so what is the deal

thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
ok i figured out that is it fine to leave the batteries 18 volt nicd batteries on the charger plugged in. per porter cable. they sent me an reply to that question and told me to leave the charger plugged in and the extra batteries in them when not being used. the charger acts as a maintainer and will keep the batteries charged. and if any battery happens to get a bad cell the charger will try to restore that cell.

so now to another issue that some may have came across! i have one porter cable drill that seems to have developed a loose part on the motor somewhere. i put a drill in the chuck and the drill turns but the bit stalls and the clutch is in drill not the clutch mode.

so i took the drive out of the tool and the clutch off the motor and powered it up and sure enough somewhere in that motor something is lose and i do not see anyway to repair that. so i'm wondering if the porter cable 18 volt drills have a poor motor in them that seems to fail? i ask because the 2nd drill i just got used seems to have started to do this now. i had a 1/2" bit stall in a pc of 3/4" plywood that did have a pilot hole in it and the drill was in drill mode and the bit stalled and the motor kept running. so if this is a pattern with this tool that may explain why so many are on ebay.

so if these tools have a bad drive in them what drill make is a good one? i like the porter cable because batteries are cheap on ebay and it seems they can be left on the charger without damage to them compared to other brands that the mfg tell me not to leave the batteries on the chargers. thanks

Ask a Question