Pond Life

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, this is probably off topic, but here goes:
We purchased a home about a year ago, that happens to have a small pond, about 5ft x 6ft. In the first year we paid no attention to it, we know nothing about ponds! The pond is made from EPDM rubber and paving slabs erratically placed around the edges, the rubber is very thin and has deteriorated mainly along one side that is exposed to the sun, where there are a few holes, what with birds and other critters using it to climb down to drink. The holes are preventing the pond to fill completely, so I thought I'll get something to patch them up/fill them in. Not so easy, I've investigated all sorts, including waterproof Gorilla tape, even down to the spec. data, but nothing about hazards to pond life. Just got some Gorilla waterproof tape only to find it says on the packet "harmful to aquatic life", DOH! Bitumen is also harmful. There are no fish BTW, but we have seen a frog and several newts, a protected species, so emptying the pond is not an option. Any advice on repair, something to fill in or tape over holes in rubber that won't harm the fishy things would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the long winded post :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To reliably fix redo the complete liner. You will spen all that time fixing a hole for another to appear!

Ask a Question