Need to install a basement exhaust fan.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone have experience installing a basement exhaust fan? I did some staining downstairs last weekend and I really stunk up the house with all the fumes.

There are no windows, so boring a hole in the wooden part of the wall will be necessary.
What I'm picturing is one of those fans that fits inside of a section of ducting, that can be tucked up between the floor joists. On the incoming side I plan to have a lenght of flexible ducting that I can position near where I'm working.

1. The fans I looked at don't move much air until you bump up to an 8" diameter fan (500 CFM).
2. Most dryer vent outlets that I've seen only go to 6" and the 6" fan only produces 250 CFM, and I'm not sure that's going to be enough to exhaust paint and stain fumes or sawdust.

The fans I'm looking at are primarily used to help move air in your HVAC system. Is there a different type I should be looking at?

Reaction score
Mostly I run my bottom fans with a humidistat, in conjunction with a thermometer switch. I actually find high end bathroom fans useful, some are even smart and many are high or higher cfm than you specify. Mostly they have been wired like switches on either end of a hall.

I do not know of a better stinkometer than my wife so having a 3rd switch on the wall for manual control might be useful. That is a circuit you might want to consider if it is not considered with the part you purchase. You may also push air out of a tube via a wye connection. Neat idea. It is used with pumps making vacuum lines with a reversed flow in liquids a lot but I have one upstair connected to a middle bathroom so if you turn over a fan switch it evacuates a little air for exchange as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mostly I run my bottom fans with a humidistat, in conjunction with a thermometer switch. I actually find high end bathroom fans useful, some are even smart and many are high or higher cfm than you specify. Mostly they have been wired like switches on either end of a hall.

I do not know of a better stinkometer than my wife so having a 3rd switch on the wall for manual control might be useful. That is a circuit you might want to consider if it is not considered with the part you purchase. You may also push air out of a tube via a wye connection. Neat idea. It is used with pumps making vacuum lines with a reversed flow in liquids a lot but I have one upstair connected to a middle bathroom so if you turn over a fan switch it evacuates a little air for exchange as well.
I saw some of those "smart fans", but all I really need is a simple on/off for when I'm stinking up the place. I would also like one of the cut off gates to keep the cold out when I'm not using it.

1718647996809.png

Ask a Question