Lintel or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I would like to cut an opening for a door in my single skin, single storey garage, the problem I have is wether or not I need to install a lintel. I want to cut the opening at the rear of my garage, which is the lowest point of the roof, barely the height of a UK door frame. From the inside of my garage I can see the corrugated roof panels are seated on a 4 x 2" wooden plate (see pic attached), this makes me think that there's not a great deal of weight on the wooden plate and that if I removed all of the bricks, from top to bottom, that I could just install a door frame underneath the plate.

I'd appreciate any opinions on wether or not I need a lintel or not.

Many thanks,
Nik

Attachments

Reaction score
Are you thinking of adding a frame with a top piece or using the wall plate as the top of the frame?
If you used a frame with a study top I think it would be fine as you will presumably screw the frame to the wall plate but I think if if it was just the wall plate then it would sag over time.
In either case, just reinforce the wall plate over where the door will be, plus a brick length either side? Get a couple of long flat steel plates and sandwich the wall plate between with some coach bolts. Don't screw it, best to make sure you have bolts that go all the way through.

Ask a Question