Flooring ideas for Laundry, HVAC, 3/4 Bathroom

MrB

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, I'm looking for ideas/help. We want to put new flooring in our basement Laundry room/HVAC & 3/4 bathroom. All flat concrete floor covered with the same linoleum everywhere. Pretty straightforward.

I see 3 options.
Scrape up old linoleum and replace with new. ( Least desirable option.)
Leave linoleum and lay snap together vinyl or laminate flooring. Easy peasy, cover the linoleum and forget it. Note: I put laminate flooring in our kitchen and we love it..

Here's the rub. There's a depression in the laundry room floor for the floor drain. The depressions about 4 feet across and it drops a couple inches to the 6" drain cover.
1000001355.jpg 1000001354.jpg
Sorry, I can't figure out how to turn them around.

This is no problem for linoleum, as it will stretch to fit the depression. Snap together vinyl or laminate flooring, not so much. Or will it? In my head, I'm thinking the snap together laminate pieces will separate and also not lay down flat trying to cover the depression, but maybe not? I don't know, I've never tried it.

So, what do you think? Is there a way to make vinyl or laminant work around the floor drain? As for linoleum everywhere.... forget it. I'm pushing 67 and I'm not scraping all that stuff up. I'll hire somebody if it comes to that.

I appreciate any and all thoughts, Thanks 🙂

Last edited:

Ask a Question